CSO - There are some movies that are timeless in nature. They can make you laugh. They can make you cry. They can inspire the viewer. Sometimes that inspiration is, well, shall we say, suboptimal.A
Over the weekend I learned of a high school student from Miami Florida that decided he needed to have better grades. And what better way to do that than to study hard and work his ass off to get...wait...he didn't? No. It seems that 18 year old Jose Bautista thought he'd be better off hacking into his school network to change his grades.A
Now, why does that sound so familiar?
Ed Rooney: I've got it right here in front of me. He has missed nine days...
[His computer screen begins counting down from nine to two. Ferris is at home looking at the same screen]
Ferris: I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?
A bad sign indeed. So, what exactly is the opportunity cost associated with this for Bautista?A
From ABC News:A
Bautista was a senior and scheduled to graduate within a few weeks. The Miami-Dade School District sent a statement to WFOR-TV which said "expulsion" was still a possibility.
"The school district takes incidents like this very seriously. In addition to the arrest and ongoing criminal investigation, the Code of Student Conduct provides for corrective strategies up to and including recommendation for expulsion," read the statement.
Bautista was released after his family posted his $20,000 bail.
He changed his grades and that of four other students. While I cannot dispute that this is a bonehead move on the part of Bautista, I can't help but to assign a failing grade toA Dr. Michael M. Krop Senior High School for their inability to protect student data.A
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Platfora Big Data Analytics for Network Security Platfora amplifies the effectiveness of network security analysis, providing Big Data Analytics capability to augment existing security infrastructure for known threats, and advanced...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Cyberwarfare White Papers | Webcasts