Obama, Merkel say they're still working on surveillance understanding
The two countries still have 'differences of opinion' on appropriate surveillance activities, Merkel says
IDG News Service - The U.S. and German governments remain far from an agreement on the appropriate level of surveillance by the U.S. National Security Agency on German residents, leaders of both countries said Friday.
The two countries still have "differences of opinion to overcome" on the appropriate use of surveillance, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said in a joint press conference with President Obama. The two leaders met in Washington this week to discuss political unrest in Ukraine and other issues.
The German government in October 2013 said U.S. intelligence agencies may have spied on Merkel's mobile phone. On Friday, Obama said it "pains" him that the relationship between the two countries has suffered after the revelations.
"These are complicated issues, and we're not perfectly aligned yet, but we share the same values, and we share the same concerns," Obama said.
Obama called Germany one of the "closest allies" of the U.S., but he declined to back a bilateral no-spy agreement that some Germans have pressed for. "We do not have a blanket no-spy agreement with any country," he said. "We have gone a long way in closing some of the gaps [with Germany]."
Obama noted that he's "taken the unprecedented step" of telling U.S. intelligence agencies to consider privacy concerns of foreigners when they conduct surveillance. Most other countries do not consider the privacy rights of people living outside their borders, he said.
"We have shared with the Germans the [surveillance] things that we are doing," Obama said. "Ordinary Germans are not subject to continual surveillance. Our focus is principally and primarily on, how do we make sure that terrorists ... are not able to engage in those activities."
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide
- In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts