Crowdfunding campaign wants a net neutrality billboard near FCC headquarters
Ohanian turns to crowdfunding site to raise money for a billboard opposing the FCC chairman's proposal
IDG News Service - Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian launched a crowdfunding campaign to let the U.S. Federal Communications Commission know, in a big and bold message, that many Internet users are not happy with the agency's new net neutrality proposal.
Wheeler's proposal, which would allow broadband providers to engage in some "commercially reasonable" traffic management, would create a pay-for-priority Internet "fast lane" that will leave some entrepreneurs and Internet users behind, Ohanian said in a video accompanying his fundraising proposal.
FCC commissioners need to realize that the Internet is "a utility, like electricity or potable water that's fundamental to our country," he said. "There are a handful of cable companies that don't want it that way because they want to be able to charge more to certain companies."
Ohanian, now a startup advisor, also encouraged Internet users to contact the FCC and their lawmakers and demand strong net neutrality protections. FCC commissioners "need to know that we cannot screw this up," he added. "We can't. It's too vital."
Ohanian announced the fundraising campaign Saturday, two days after news broke about Wheeler's net neutrality proposal. The FCC chairman is reintroducing proposed net neutrality rules after a U.S. appeals court in January struck down an older version of the rules.
The FCC is scheduled to vote to release Wheeler's proposal for public comment on May 15. Wheeler has defended the proposal, saying the agency will not allow broadband providers to "force Internet users into a slow lane."
"The focus of this proposal ... is on maintaining a broadly available, fast and robust Internet as a platform for economic growth, innovation, competition, free expression, and broadband investment and deployment," Wheeler said Wednesday at a cable trade show. "We will follow the court's blueprint for achieving this, and, I must warn you, will look skeptically on special exceptions."
But critics of Wheeler's proposal say it is a weak rewrite of the earlier rules and would allow broadband providers to collect fees from websites and services in exchange for prioritized traffic. Wheeler has said the FCC would reject most pay-for-priority plans, but FCC officials will look at potential net neutrality violations on a case-by-case basis, as suggested by the appeals court.
Ohanian's fundraising campaign had raised more than US$10,800 from more than 250 contributors by early Friday. The campaign had 13 days left to raise his target of $20,000 on crowd-funding site Crowdtilt.
Net neutrality battle
- Net neutrality becomes a key battleground in encryption fight
- FCC swamped with last-minute comments on net neutrality
- Dems' plan would force FCC to ban Internet fast lanes
- How Tom Wheeler's FCC plan will wreck your Internet
- Inside the FCC's net neutrality notice
- FCC moves ahead with controversial net neutrality plan
- Net neutrality backers decide to 'occupy' the FCC
- Net neutrality advocates flood FCC Twitter chat
- Trade group, lawmaker question drive to classify broadband as a utility
- FCC chairman may revise his controversial plan on net neutrality
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- The Cloud BI that IT and Developers Demand Jaspersoft for AWS allows developers and IT professionals to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics...
- AWS and Jaspersoft Disrupt BI TIBCO Jaspersoft for AWS and Amazon Redshift disrupt business intelligence with cost-effective analytics in the cloud. Available by the hour in a pay-as-you-go...
- Cloud BI Demo: Jaspersoft for AWS Watch a 5-minute overview demo of Jaspersoft for AWS and see how to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Broadband White Papers | Webcasts