Oracle, Oregon officials once eyed faulty state site as Healthcare.gov fix
Oregon has since scrapped its site, Cover Oregon, and will use the federal Obamacare site
IDG News Service - On at least one occasion, technology behind Oregon's faulty health insurance website was discussed as a possible fix for problems that initially beset Healthcare.gov, the federal insurance exchange that underpins Obamacare.
"How is Oregon's exchange looking? Any possibility it could be the answer to an overhaul," Oracle executive Donna-Mae Shyduik asked in an Oct. 19 email, which was obtained this week by the Oregonian newspaper.
"I think it could be," answered then-Oregon Health Authority CIO Carolyn Lawson, according to the newspaper. "The core of the application, the rules engine, is solid. What we are seeing now are product integration issues. Should be settled in about a week."
Dubbed Cover Oregon, the site was supposed to go live Oct. 1 along with Healthcare.gov but was beset by rampant performance problems.
Despite Lawson's rosy prediction, Cover Oregon still isn't fully functional and the state has decided to scrap its site in favor of Healthcare.gov, which has been stable for months, although Accenture recently landed a $121 million contract to fix some remaining issues.
Cover Oregon's woes created a political firestorm that led to the departure of key officials, including Lawson, who has accused the state of engaging in a "substantial cover-up" meant to shift blame away from itself and onto her and Oracle.
Other emails obtained by the Oregonian paint a more nuanced picture of the relationship between Oracle and Cover Oregon officials, particularly Lawson.
In an Oct. 14 email, she complained to a co-worker about an Oracle executive who was "working very hard to 'manage my expectations' but not working to deliver what is needed," according to the newspaper.
Lawson couldn't be reached for comment Thursday. Oracle spokeswoman Deborah Hellinger declined comment.
Independent reviews of the Cover Oregon project have found fault with both Oracle and the state.
Oregon has withheld millions of dollars in payments from Oracle and is reserving its right to sue. But Oracle recently gave a public indication that it wants to avoid a messy legal entanglement.
"Oracle looks forward to providing any assistance the State needs in moving parts of Oregon's health care exchange to the Federal system if it ultimately decides to do so," Hellinger said in a previous statement. "Oracle will continue to support the State in providing long term solutions for Oregonians, and to assist with its ongoing health care modernization efforts."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All Government IT Webcasts