Samsung tablets grab market share from Apple's iPad
But tablet shipments during the first quarter of this year rose just 3.9 percent, lower than IDC's expectations
IDG News Service - Samsung grabbed tablet market share from Apple during the first quarter of this year, but the iPad maker retained the top spot in an otherwise slowing tablet market.
Worldwide tablet shipments totaled 50.4 million units during the quarter, increasing by just 3.9 percent compared to the same quarter a year ago, according to an IDC study released Thursday. The shipments rose at a slower rate than expected by IDC, which said the tablet category could struggle this year.
Apple earlier this month reported a year-over-year quarterly drop in iPad shipments, and IDC's study reflected similar results. IDC counted Apple's iPad shipments as totaling 16.4 million during the first quarter, a drop of 16.1 percent compared to the same quarter the previous year. Second-place Samsung's year-over-year shipments rose by 32 percent to 11.2 million units.
IDC's tablet shipment numbers also include "2-in-1" PCs, which are hybrids that can be both tablets and laptops. Many of these computers typically have Windows 8 and detachable screens that turn into tablets.
Consumers are holding on to existing tablets and not upgrading, and large-screen phones -- also called "phablets" -- are becoming more popular, said Tom Mainelli, IDC's vice president for devices and displays research, in a statement.
Tablet shipments in the first quarter were otherwise a mixed bag for vendors. Lenovo, which was the fourth largest tablet vendor, recorded a whopping growth rate of 224.3 percent in shipments, totaling 2.1 million units. Lenovo meanwhile is catching up with third-place Acer, whose shipments dropped by 2.8 percent to 2.5 million. Shipments for the once fast-growing Amazon dropped by 47.1 percent to 1 million for the quarter.
Android was the dominant OS, grabbing roughly 66 percent of the market share, IDC said. Hybrids are helping Windows 8 gain tablet market share, especially among people who need PC-like functionality inside a tablet, IDC said. But the market share for Windows remains small, IDC said.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!