Worm-like Android malware spreads via text messages
Samsapo uses a worm-like characteristic to spread to other Android devices
IDG News Service - A piece of malware targeting Russian-speaking Android users abuses a person's contact list to try and infect other devices, according to security vendor Eset.
The malware, call "Android/Samsapo.A" can download other malicious files to a phone, steal personal information from a device such as text messages and block phone calls, wrote Robert Lipovsky, an Eset malware researcher. The malware uploads data to a domain that was registered about a week ago.
Samsapo spreads by sending text messages from an infected device to other people in the victim's contact list, a worm-like characteristic that has been used by other mobile malware programs.
The text message says "Is this your photo?" in Russian and has a link to an AndroidA application package (.APK)A file containing a copy of Samsapo.
"This technique wouldnt raise an eyebrow on Windows, but is rather novel on Android," Lipovsky wrote.
The APK file name makes it appear as a system utility: "com.android.tools.system v1.0." The program doesn't have a graphical user interface nor an icon in the application drawer, Lipovsky wrote.
Android will warn users when downloading applications from unknown sources. Google scans its Play store for malicious applications, which reduces the chance a user will download a malicious one.
Security experts generally recommend not downloading Android applications from third-party websites, as even legitimate looking applications may have been maliciously modified. Also, applications that ask for permissions such as reading and writing text messages should be viewed with caution.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Who's Spying on You? You're aware of the threats of malware to your business but what about the ever-changing ground rules? Cybercriminals today are launching attacks against...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts