Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
The Audience Network, now in beta, will support iOS and Android apps
IDG News Service - Facebook will extend its advertising business by distributing ads from its marketers to third-party mobile apps.
Developers will be able to join a new Facebook mobile ad network and make money from the ads their mobile apps carry, benefitting along the way from Facebook's trove of user data.
Facebook has been serving up its own ads inside its mobile app for at least a year, to great success -- that's the way the company now makes most of its money. With the Audience Network, Facebook wants to open up the scope of its mobile ad business.
Facebook has provided tools to developers to help them generate revenue for some time, such as with its payments platform. But the Audience Network is a much bigger play for Facebook.
"This is the first time we're going to help you monetize in a serious way on mobile," said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, in front of an audience of developers at the company's F8 conference in San Francisco.
In early tests of the network, retailer Target said it wanted to reach people who not only "liked" Target on Facebook, but who also liked the movie "Frozen," said Deborah Liu, manager of product marketing at Facebook. Facebook found those people in the Huffington Post app, and delivered Target's ads there.
The mobile ad network could give a massive boost to developers' monetization efforts, given that Facebook's data will better help them target users more precisely.
"It all came together through the Facebook system," Liu said.
Facebook's Audience Network is currently in beta; advertisers can apply to participate online. It will work both on iOS and Android, for a number of different types of ads, including banner ads and "native" ads, which are designed to look more like organic or user-generated content.
A number of other tools were announced at F8 designed to help developers build, grow and monetize their apps, including a way to log in anonymously to other apps.
How do you use your smartphone or tablet to view and share tech-related information? Tell us using this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini. You must be a U.S. resident, 18 years or older, to be eligible; at the end of the survey all you have to give us is your email address. The survey ends May 20, 2014.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- The business impact of BYOA: Five major challenges and how your enterprise can solve them This E-Book reviews five major challenges of BYOA with key subject matter experts and outlines how businesses can solve them.
- The BYOA Opportunity Visual demonstration of problems that unmonitored, employee-introduced cloud apps can cause a business, and why IT managers need a solution to help and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts