Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
The Audience Network, now in beta, will support iOS and Android apps
IDG News Service - Facebook will extend its advertising business by distributing ads from its marketers to third-party mobile apps.
Developers will be able to join a new Facebook mobile ad network and make money from the ads their mobile apps carry, benefitting along the way from Facebook's trove of user data.
Facebook has been serving up its own ads inside its mobile app for at least a year, to great success -- that's the way the company now makes most of its money. With the Audience Network, Facebook wants to open up the scope of its mobile ad business.
Facebook has provided tools to developers to help them generate revenue for some time, such as with its payments platform. But the Audience Network is a much bigger play for Facebook.
"This is the first time we're going to help you monetize in a serious way on mobile," said CEO Mark Zuckerberg, in front of an audience of developers at the company's F8 conference in San Francisco.
In early tests of the network, retailer Target said it wanted to reach people who not only "liked" Target on Facebook, but who also liked the movie "Frozen," said Deborah Liu, manager of product marketing at Facebook. Facebook found those people in the Huffington Post app, and delivered Target's ads there.
The mobile ad network could give a massive boost to developers' monetization efforts, given that Facebook's data will better help them target users more precisely.
"It all came together through the Facebook system," Liu said.
Facebook's Audience Network is currently in beta; advertisers can apply to participate online. It will work both on iOS and Android, for a number of different types of ads, including banner ads and "native" ads, which are designed to look more like organic or user-generated content.
A number of other tools were announced at F8 designed to help developers build, grow and monetize their apps, including a way to log in anonymously to other apps.
How do you use your smartphone or tablet to view and share tech-related information? Tell us using this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini. You must be a U.S. resident, 18 years or older, to be eligible; at the end of the survey all you have to give us is your email address. The survey ends May 20, 2014.
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
- Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!