DreamWorks CEO says screen size will dictate movie download costs
And first-release movies will only get a three-week window in theaters before they're available via streaming
Computerworld - DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg believes that within a decade movie viewers will pay to download films and TV shows "by the inch you watch."
Katzenberg, who founded DreamWorks with Steven Spielberg, was referring to the size of a screen on which a user views a movie. The smaller the screen, the cheaper the cost.
He also said a first-release movies will have just three weekends in theaters before they become available by downloading, according to a report in Variety Magazine.
"A movie will come out and you will have 17 days, that's exactly three weekends, which is 95% of the revenue for 98% of movies. On the 18th day, these movies will be available everywhere ubiquitously and you will pay for the size. A movie screen will be $15. A 75-in. TV will be $4. A smartphone will be $1.99. That enterprise that will exist throughout the world, when that happens -- and it will happen -- it will reinvent the enterprise of movies," Katzenberg said.
Katzenberg made the comments at the Milken Global Conference's Entrepreneurial Leadership in the Corporate World panel in Beverly Hills.
The CEO of movie distributor Liberty Media Corp. agreed with Katzenberg. "Few networks are impacted (by technology) more than the media business," Liberty's CEO Greg Maffei said.
Lucas Mearian covers consumer data storage, consumerization of IT, mobile device management, renewable energy, telematics/car tech and entertainment tech for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Personal Technology in Computerworld's Personal Technology Topic Center.
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program In this white paper, learn how to select the right mobile devices for your organization and manage them with efficiency, flexibility and security...
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Energizing Life's Work If your life's work is about caring for people in a business context, the latest digital and social innovations from IBM can help...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!