White House sees 'real danger' China will soon take R&D lead
Spending on research drops as Congress pursues austerity
CareerJournal - WASHINGTON - Compared to the rest of the world, the U.S. continues to lead in spending on research and development (R&D). But the rate of spending by other nations -- China, in particular -- is increasing at a faster pace. This fact is creating angst in Congress.
At a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing today on U.S. R&D spending, Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.) the committee chairwoman, said that much of America's "exceptionalism" comes from its investment in science. "We cannot afford to let other countries out-invest or out-innovate the U.S.," she said.
But the committee's ranking member, Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), threw cold water on Mikulski's rallying call for R&D support, by linking federal debt and mandatory spending to science spending.
"An unfortunate consequence" of the government's other budget problems, said Shelby, "is the crowding out of important parts of our budget."
John Holdren, who heads the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, the lead witness at the hearing, said that total private and public U.S R&D investments in 2011 was $429 billion. In second place was China, which spent $208 billion.
But China is increasing its investments rapidly, and Holdren said China will pass the U.S. "in a matter of a few years."
One research group has said it believes China will surpass the U.S. in 2022. But Holdren said that if China keeps increasing its R&D spending by 20% to 25% a year "they will pass us well before 2022."
The U.S., he said, is "in real danger" of being overtaken by China in R&D spending.
President Obama, said Holdren, set a goal in 2009 of investing 3% of of the nation's GDP in R&D. The U.S. is near that level, he said. But that analysis combines public and private sector R&D spending; when federal R&D spending is separated out, the picture is different.
In a letter to the committee, MIT President Rafael Reif said that from the mid-1950s through the mid-1970s, federally-funded R&D averaged approximately 1.5% of GDP; by 2011, however, funding had fallen to 0.8% of GDP.
"While the U.S. remains a world leader in total R&D, the current trajectory of U.S. investment levels is a striking departure from the strong commitment the country has historically made to R&D," said Reif.
There are also differences in public and private spending. Private sector R&D investment is often focused on bringing new products to market. Federal R&D research looks at basic, fundamental questions that may or may not produce innovative fruit.
The White House FY2015 budget sets aside $135.4 billion in federal R&D spending, an increase of 1.2% over current allocations.
Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.) said at the hearing that by "restricting and reducing" R&D spending, "we are unilaterally disarming" in the race for global science leadership.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Government/Industries White Papers | Webcasts