Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
Gundotra worked at the company for nearly eight years, also serving key roles in mobile and Google I/O
IDG News Service - Vic Gundotra, a key executive at Google who helped to create Google+, is leaving the company, he announced on Thursday.
Gundotra worked at Google for nearly eight years, spearheading the development of Google+, as well as Google I/O, the company's annual conference for developers. For a time Google's mobile apps also fell under his purview, including services like turn-by-turn directions.
"I have been incredibly fortunate to work with the amazing people of Google," he said in a Google+ post announcing his departure.
He did not say exactly why he was leaving. A Google spokesman said the change takes effect immediately.
Gundotra's departure could create challenges in Google's efforts to attract users to Google+, which has struggled to compete against the likes of Facebook and Twitter. Google+ largely exists as the central platform for managing users' identity across Google's services like YouTube and Gmail. People can also use it for sharing content like they do on Facebook, but Facebook has many more active users.
To attract new users, last year Google rolled out a range of new photo editing tools for Google+.
Google CEO Larry Page, in a Google+ post of his own, said that the company would continue to build new experiences for Google+. "We'll continue working hard," he said.
Google would not comment directly on who might replace Gundotra, though a report in Re/code said that David Besbris, VP of engineering at Google, has been picked by Page to replace him. Besbris was part of the team that built Google+, according to his own Google+ profile.
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Software license renewal solutions that insure compliance A large design group with a software license renewal challenge employs a software asset management (SAM) tool from CDW to insure compliance. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts