IPhone sales drive strong Apple earnings in Q2
Apple's iPad shipments decline, but revenue and profit increase
IDG News Service - Apple's iPad shipments declined, but iPhone sales were strong as the company reported a hike in profit and revenue during the second quarter of 2014.
Apple's net profit was $10.2 billion for the second fiscal quarter of 2014, up from $9.5 billion in the same quarter one year ago, the company said on Wednesday.
Revenue was $45.6 billion during the quarter ending on March 29, increasing from $43.6 billion in the same quarter last year. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had been expecting revenue of $43.5 billion. International sales totaled 66 percent of the revenue, Apple said.
IPhone shipments totaled 43.7 million units, increasing from 37.4 million units in last year's second quarter. IPad shipments totaled 16.35 million, falling from 19.48 million units. Mac shipments increased to 4.13 million units during the quarter from 3.95 million units a year ago.
"We're very proud of our quarterly results, especially our strong iPhone sales and record revenue from services," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement.
The company is looking forward to introducing "products and services that only Apple could bring to market," Cook said. Major product announcements are expected in early June at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco.
Apple had a relatively quiet fiscal second quarter, with the most important announcement being incremental updates to the 9.7-inch iPad with Retina display, and its price drop to $399. Apple had trouble keeping up with demand for the Mac Pro during the quarter, and the product page shows ship times with three- to five-week delays.
Apple is projecting revenue of between $36 billion and $38 billion for the third quarter.
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- Gartner MarketScope for Group Video Systems The Gartner "MarketScope for Group Video Systems" evaluates 7 group video system vendors based on 6 customer-focused criteria such as customer experience, market...
- The Role of the User Experience in Video Conferencing While video conferencing can offer significant benefits to companies and their employees, all video conferencing solutions are not alike. To ensure successful deployment...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!