IPhone sales drive strong Apple earnings in Q2
Apple's iPad shipments decline, but revenue and profit increase
IDG News Service - Apple's iPad shipments declined, but iPhone sales were strong as the company reported a hike in profit and revenue during the second quarter of 2014.
Apple's net profit was $10.2 billion for the second fiscal quarter of 2014, up from $9.5 billion in the same quarter one year ago, the company said on Wednesday.
Revenue was $45.6 billion during the quarter ending on March 29, increasing from $43.6 billion in the same quarter last year. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had been expecting revenue of $43.5 billion. International sales totaled 66 percent of the revenue, Apple said.
IPhone shipments totaled 43.7 million units, increasing from 37.4 million units in last year's second quarter. IPad shipments totaled 16.35 million, falling from 19.48 million units. Mac shipments increased to 4.13 million units during the quarter from 3.95 million units a year ago.
"We're very proud of our quarterly results, especially our strong iPhone sales and record revenue from services," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement.
The company is looking forward to introducing "products and services that only Apple could bring to market," Cook said. Major product announcements are expected in early June at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in San Francisco.
Apple had a relatively quiet fiscal second quarter, with the most important announcement being incremental updates to the 9.7-inch iPad with Retina display, and its price drop to $399. Apple had trouble keeping up with demand for the Mac Pro during the quarter, and the product page shows ship times with three- to five-week delays.
Apple is projecting revenue of between $36 billion and $38 billion for the third quarter.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!