Toshiba, SanDisk NAND flash memory shrinks to 15-nanometer process
The chips feature a data transfer rate of 533 mbps, according to Toshiba
IDG News Service - Partners Toshiba and SanDisk have developed 15-nanometer process technology for NAND flash memory widely used in smartphones and tablets.
The development is the first in the world and will replace the second-generation 19-nm process technology when production begins at Toshiba's plant in Yokkaichi, Japan, Toshiba said.
Process technology refers to the method and size in making chips. NAND flash memory is a storage medium that does not need power to retain data.
The 15-nm process technology will be applied to 128 gigabit (16GB) NAND flash memory with two bits per cell, Toshiba said.
By using a high-speed interface, the new chips increase the data transfer rate to 533 mbps, which is 1.3 times faster than the 19-nm process technology.
The Yokkaichi plant in Mie Prefecture near Osaka will begin mass production of the chips at the end of April, Toshiba said.
In a separate announcement, SanDisk said the technology will be available as its 1Z-nm process node, promoting what it called the world's smallest, most cost-effective 128-gigabit chips.
"Our 15-nm technology will be utilized across its broad range of solutions, from removable cards to enterprise SSDs," a SanDisk spokesman said in an email.
"The benefit for the customer is that the technology provides a lower cost structure compared to the previous node, which is 1Y-nm."
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- Accelerating Oracle with Preferred Reads Storage based configuration. View Now>>
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts