HTML5 tool components released as open source
The Telerik package includes all the features in the commercial Kendo UI Mobile package
IDG News Service - Borrowing a page from the recently revised Microsoft playbook, development tools maker Telerik has released as open source the bulk of its Kendo software library of components for building Web and mobile applications
Telerik created the collection to accompany its flagship Icenium cross-platform mobile application development software. More than 40,000 organizations have used Telerik's development products, according to the company.
The Kendo collection has been released under the Apache 2.0 license, allowing developers to freely use and modify the code in their own commercial and personal projects. Telerik hopes to use the best contributions to the code base for its own commercial editions, as well as contribute additional components back to the project as they are developed.
The package includes a total of 38 user interface widgets, including components for autocomplete, drop-down lists, panel bars and calendars. Framework functions include drag and drop capabilities and data validation.
"I'm impressed with the beauty and completeness of Telerik Kendo UI components," said Brad Green, Google engineering director for AngularJS, in a statement. "I'm ecstatic that it has gone the open source route to enrich the world's development community."
The company has held back releasing a few key features that might be of particular value to the enterprise, such as stock charts, mapping and a data grid. Those will be available only through the commercial Professional Kendo distribution.
Like Microsoft, Telerik hopes that developers become acquainted with the library and come to regard the company's commercial products as the best tools to use with the library.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts