Twitter to promote app downloads in its mobile timelines
Advertisers can use a single interface to promote downloads of their mobile apps in other apps or directly from Twitter timelines
IDG News Service - Twitter's new mobile advertising suite lets companies pitch their mobile apps in promoted tweets or place ads inside other apps.
The suite combines Twitter Cards, a feature that automatically adds Google Play and App Store links to tweets, and Promoted Tweets, sponsored tweets that appear in people's timelines. Users will be able to download apps directly from their timelines, Twitter said Thursday.
The new suite also allows marketers to promote their apps outside Twitter through MoPub market, a mobile-focused ad exchange Twitter bought last September for a reported $350 million. The MoPub exchange reaches more than 1 billion unique devices and handles more than 130 billion ad requests inside Android and iOS applications every 30 days, according to Twitter.
The combined interface at ads.twitter.com is initially available only to U.S. advertisers taking part in the beta test, Twitter said.
Mobile advertising is on the rise, according to ZenithOptimedia, whichA in early April predicted that global expenditures on mobile ads will grow from about $13 billion in 2103 to about $45 billion in 2016.
Twitter is not the only company ramping up its mobile advertising efforts now.
Earlier this week TelefA3nica, one of the world's largest telecom operators, announced a mobile ad-exchange platform using its customer demographics and real-time location data to serve targeted mobile ads.
Loek is Amsterdam Correspondent and covers online privacy, intellectual property, open-source and online payment issues for the IDG News Service. Follow him on Twitter at @loekessers or email tips and comments to email@example.com
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!