iPhone keyboard sales halted as injunction takes effect
BlackBerry alleges the Typo keyboard is an 'obvious knock-off' of its own keyboards
IDG News Service - Typo halted the sale of its add-on keyboard for the iPhone on Tuesday after an injunction took effect that bans it from being imported to the U.S.
The injunction is part of a patent lawsuit brought against it by BlackBerry and was triggered when BlackBerry put up a $500,000 bond with the court. The money will be used to compensate Typo for its lost profits if it ends up winning the case.
Typo launched to considerable attention earlier this year, in large part because it was co-funded by TV and radio personality Ryan Seacrest.
BlackBerry quickly filed suit, alleging that Typo's keyboard is an "obvious knock-off" of the keyboards on its BlackBerry phones. The $99 product slips onto an iPhone 5 or 5s.
BlackBerry noted in its suit that Seacrest was a longtime BlackBerry user and had said in interviews that he wanted to bring together the best of the BlackBerry typing experience with the iPhone.
In issuing the temporary injunction in late March, Judge William Orrick of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California said, "BlackBerry has established a likelihood of proving that Typo infringes the patents at issue and Typo has not presented a substantial question of the validity of those patents."
A link to order devices on Typo's website directed to an error page on Tuesday.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts