Mozilla steps up damage control as pressure for CEO Eich's ouster mounts
On Sunday, Mark Surman, the executive director of Mozilla, also weighed in. Surman, who titled his post "Mozilla is messy," argued that while those involved with the open-source developer were often at odds on all kinds of issues, they were of one mind when it came to the importance of an open Internet. "This ability to set aside differing and diverse beliefs to focus on a common cause is something we as Mozilla stand for on principle," Surman said.
Even so, Surman worried that harm been done to Mozilla by the strife over Eich's stance on gay marriage. "I worry that Mozilla is in a tough spot right now," Surman confided. "I worry that we do a bad job of explaining ourselves, that people are angry and don't know who we are or where we stand. And, I worry that in the time it takes to work this through and explain ourselves the things I love about Mozilla will be deeply damaged."
Some of that damage came in the form of a petition launched over the weekend by Credo Action, an online network of progressive activists. The online petition, which demanded Eich expressly support marriage equality -- or failing that, resign or be fired by Mozilla's board -- had collected more than 68,000 signatures by late Monday.
"Sixty-five thousand is definitely a strong response for a campaign sent on a Sunday afternoon," said Becky Bond, Credo Action's political director, in an email reply to questions earlier Monday when the signature total was several thousand less than near the day's end.
In a statement late Monday, a Mozilla spokesperson said, "We are sorry that Credo was unable to accept Mozilla's formal support of marriage equality" and Eich's previously-stated commitments to ensure equality at Mozilla and uphold the company's policies. Mozilla's statement did not, as Credo Action's petition requested, include Eich's personal promise to support equal rights to marriage for all.
Elsewhere, OkCupid.com became the first website to encourage a boycott of Firefox. Members of the dating service running Firefox now see an interstitial message that states, "Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples. We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid."
Users can continue to the website with Firefox, but only after seeing the message and links to alternative browsers, including Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari. In what may have been a Freudian slip, OkCupid labeled Microsoft's browser as "Internet Exploder."
"OkCupid never reached out to us to let us know of their intentions, nor to confirm facts," the same Mozilla spokesperson said Monday evening of the site's boycott.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Open Source in Computerworld's Open Source Topic Center.
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- eBay uses 100% OpenSource WSO2 ESB to process more than 1Billion transactions a day Along with eBay's success comes a huge demand to ensure reliable, 24x7 availability of the services that enable these transactions. For eBay, that...
- What Developers Want: The End of Application Redeploys Eliminate application restarts in Java with JRebel! JRebel is a JVM plugin that eliminates application redeploys from the Java development cycle, a process...
- How a German energy company saved 1 day per week of development time with JRebel Check out the following case study to see how Heliocentris, a global energy supply and efficiency company deployed a development solution that was...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Open Source White Papers | Webcasts