Twitter offers photo tagging and lets you upload a photo 'collage'
The features are available with the latest Twitter releases for iOS and Android
IDG News Service - Twitter users on mobile devices can now tag people in photos and upload multiple images to form a collage.
The capabilities come with an update to Twitter's iOS and Android apps that it started to roll out Wednesday, Twitter said.
To tag photos, you can now select a photo, tap on "Who's in this photo," and from there type in the person's full name or @username. When the photo is tweeted, the tags appear next to the photo, letting others navigate to the tagged user's profile.
People who are tagged will receive a notification, and users can restrict who can tag them in their settings.
Twitter is also adding the ability to share up to four photos in a single tweet to create a collage. That's starting to roll out on the iPhone today and is coming soon to Android and twitter.com. "Whether you're on iPhone, Android or twitter.com, you can view Tweets with multiple photos," Twitter said.
The moves step up the rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, which took photo tagging mainstream, and whose facial recognition technology can perform the function automatically.
Facebook's Instagram app also allows tagging, something it rolled out last year.
Twitter has been gradually adding more support for photos and video in its apps. Late last year it started showing photo previews directly in the Twitter feed, though some users complained it creates clutter.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Move Mission-Critical Apps to the Cloud with AWS and F5 Read this paper to learn about adoption inhibitors of the cloud, potential solutions, and how advanced Application Delivery Controller (ADC) technologies are critical...
- Pivotal Melds Big Data and Platform-as-a-service The value of Information has increased, so has the business's thirst for more information. Access to data and collaboration are at the heart...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts