Twitter offers photo tagging and lets you upload a photo 'collage'
The features are available with the latest Twitter releases for iOS and Android
IDG News Service - Twitter users on mobile devices can now tag people in photos and upload multiple images to form a collage.
The capabilities come with an update to Twitter's iOS and Android apps that it started to roll out Wednesday, Twitter said.
To tag photos, you can now select a photo, tap on "Who's in this photo," and from there type in the person's full name or @username. When the photo is tweeted, the tags appear next to the photo, letting others navigate to the tagged user's profile.
People who are tagged will receive a notification, and users can restrict who can tag them in their settings.
Twitter is also adding the ability to share up to four photos in a single tweet to create a collage. That's starting to roll out on the iPhone today and is coming soon to Android and twitter.com. "Whether you're on iPhone, Android or twitter.com, you can view Tweets with multiple photos," Twitter said.
The moves step up the rivalry between Twitter and Facebook, which took photo tagging mainstream, and whose facial recognition technology can perform the function automatically.
Facebook's Instagram app also allows tagging, something it rolled out last year.
Twitter has been gradually adding more support for photos and video in its apps. Late last year it started showing photo previews directly in the Twitter feed, though some users complained it creates clutter.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!