Microsoft to webcast event where Office for iPad may be announced
Starts at 1 p.m. ET from site just blocks away from Macworld/iWorld conference
Computerworld - Microsoft on Thursday will publicly webcast a press event from San Francisco during which many expect CEO Satya Nadella to not only make his first appearance but also announce an upcoming Office for Apple's iPad.
The event, slated to begin at 10 a.m. PT (1 p.m. ET) and run approximately an hour, will be "focused on the intersection of cloud and mobile computing," according to invitations that went out last week to reporters and industry analysts.
Microsoft confirmed today that the event will be viewable on the Web by the general public from the company's news home page.
Nadella, who took over the reins at Microsoft seven weeks ago, will provide opening remarks, last week's invitation stated. Although Nadella did an in-house interview on the day he was named CEO, that was hosted by another Microsoft employee and he did not take questions from the audience.
Nadella has not spoken in public since his appointment.
Some analysts' attention will be focused on Nadella, who is also expected to take the stage next week at Microsoft's Build developers conference, which runs April 2-4, also in San Francisco, to hear what he says about the firm's direction. Others will be more interested in the possible announcement of Office on the iPad.
During his first day on the job, Nadella described Microsoft's strategy as "mobile-first, cloud-first."
If Microsoft does introduce Office on the iPad, it will put an end to years of speculation about whether, and if so when, the company dumps its policy of linking the suite with Windows in an effort to bolster the latter's chances on tablets.
The location and timing of Microsoft's event Thursday hint at an Office for iPad announcement: At the same hour and in the same city, Macworld/iWorld -- the March 27-29 Apple-focused conference and trade show -- will kick off at the Moscone Center. Neither Microsoft nor Apple is scheduled to be an exhibitor at the show, which is hosted by IDG World Expo, an arm of IDG, the parent company of both Computerworld and Macworld.
Microsoft will hold its press event just a few blocks from the Moscone Center.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ballmer quits Microsoft board, cites NBA commitments
- In his own words: Best quotes of Steve Ballmer
- Update: Microsoft pulls crippling patch from Windows Update
- New Microsoft same as the old Microsoft
- Microsoft urges customers to uninstall 'Blue Screen of Death' update
- Windows 'Threshold' to go public within weeks
- Microsoft: Give IE another chance
- The news isn't good for Windows Phone
- Deja vu all over again: Windows 7 will be the new XP
- Microsoft postpones IE's Java blocking after IT complains
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts