Dell buys predictive analytics firm StatSoft
StatSoft sells analytics, database management and integration software
IDG News Service - Dell has added another company to its growing software portfolio with the acquisition of predictive analytics company StatSoft for an undisclosed amount.
StatSoft sells analytics, database management and integration software. Terms of the acquisition were not detailed.
StatSoft's products provide data mining and analytics capabilities -- such as identifying trends via social networks -- designed to help companies grow and better make sense of structured and unstructured data across server and cloud resources. The company's primary offering is Statistica, which uses statistics and algorithms for data analysis and predictions.
Dell said in an announcement Monday that the StatSoft software will be packaged along with Dell x86 servers.
Dell is primarily is a hardware company, but with margins in x86 servers and PCs dwindling, has turned its focus to software over the last three years. The company acquired a range of software companies including Quest Software, Wyse, Boomi, AppAssure, SonicWall, Clerity and Make.
Dell has had trouble integrating into its core operations companies like Wyse, which continues to sell its cloud hardware and software while being largely disconnected from Dell's other units.
Dell already sells the Kitenga analytics software, which is part of the Quest Software unit. StatSoft's products can work in conjunction with the Kitenga offering, and add features like natural language processing to data analysis, said Matt Wolken, vice president and general manager of information management at Dell, in a blog entry about the acquisition.
Third-party software is also being packaged in Dell servers, and StatSoft tools will work with SAP's Hana and databases from Oracle and Microsoft, Wolken said.
Some of StatSoft's customers include Pepsi, Lenovo and Schlumberger.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- CIOs strive to harness Big Data while keeping an eye on the bottom line Read this whitepaper to learn how Red Hat Storage Server allows CIOs to confidently support business growth, manage cost and risk, capitalize on...
- Enterprise architects challenged to manage data explosion Read this whitepaper to find out how Red Hat Storage Server can allow enterprises to quickly and confidently deliver business applications that minimize...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Live Webcast Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!