7 all-in-one security suites: Anti-malware for all your devices
We examine how the major security suites compare in terms of features, ease of use and which devices they actually protect.
Computerworld - Let's face it: No matter what device you use, you're in danger. Security threats and malware lurk on Windows PCs, Macs, and Android and iOS devices. If you use more than one device -- like most of us do -- that makes it even more difficult and expensive to be vigilant and keep yourself safe.
That's where all-in-one security suites come in. They protect not just a single device, but multiple ones, and offer comprehensive security for a far lower price than if you had to buy software individually for each of your devices.
All of the suites reviewed here protect Windows, Macs and Android devices. A few add iOS security as well. Most offer some kind of Web-based dashboard for installing and managing the software on each individual device.
Note that this isn't an evaluation of how well these products actually protect against malware -- for that, it's best to check out a report from a lab such as AV-TEST, which recently rated a variety of applications for how they protect Windows 8.1 systems and Android devices.
Instead, I've looked at each suite's usability and what features it offers outside of traditional anti-malware protection. I've included quick snapshots of the strengths and weaknesses of the product for each operating system -- Windows, OS X, iOS and Android -- and evaluate the Web dashboard that some of the suites offer to help you manage the security of all your devices.
In this roundup, I've reviewed seven all-in-one protection suites:
- Bitdefender Family Pack
- Kaspersky Internet Security - Multi-Device
- McAfee LiveSafe 2014
- Norton 360 Multi Device
- Panda Global Protection 2014
- Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security
- Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete
For even more details, check the in-depth tables that give a more comprehensive rundown on the features each offers.
7 security suites - Price comparisons
|Pricing plans/1 yr.||No. devices per user|
|Bitdefender||$99.95 for 3 users; $129.95 for 5 users||Unlimited|
|Panda||$69.99 for 1 Windows PC; $79.99 for 3 PCs; $119.99 for 5 PCs; $219.99 for 10 PCs||Includes 1 Mac and unlimited iOS/Android devices|
|Trend Micro||$44.95||3 devices|
7 security suites
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- Unifying Secuirty Operations Agile enterprises know that the way to quickly identify and react to threats to the business is to break down operational siloes by...
- Is Your Credit Card Data Safe from Hacks? News of recent credit card hacks has rocked consumer confidence. Even talk of a security breach can bring on a PR firestorm. What...
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Application Security White Papers | Webcasts