Embarcadero buys CA's Erwin data modeling tools
Added tools will make data modeling Embarcadero's largest revenue generator, according to the company
IDG News Service - Embarcadero Technologies is acquiring the ERwin data modeling software and associated personnel from CA Technologies, giving the vendor of software development tools an instant and formable presence in the growing field of data architecture.
The purchase makes data architecture the largest part of Embarcadero's business, Embarcadero CEO Wayne Williams said in a statement.
CA ERwin is one of the most widely used data modeling tools in the market. More than 500 CA partners sold the software in more than 70 countries. CA itself acquired the software from Platinum Technology in 1998, which in turn acquired ERwin by purchasing Logic Works, which created the tool.
An organization can use data architecture to define every aspect of IT operations, including application development, business intelligence and security. Data modeling can directly influence aspects of IT planning such as requirements analysis and database design.
The acquisition puts Embarcadero in the lead of the data modeling market, according to Al Hilwa, program director for application development software research the IT analyst firm IDC.
The data and systems modeling market will grow in the next few years, as organizations work to implement and manage big-data-styled collection and analysis systems, Hilwa said. To meet customer expectations, tool vendors must integrate modeling with other aspects of system building and maintenance, such as project planning or investment management.
Also, modeling tools need to keep pace with the accelerating speed at which complex systems are being modified, Hilwa noted.
To date, Embarcadero has been most well known for its software and database development tools. The company's first product, released in 1993, was a cross-platform SQL IDE (integrated development environment) called Rapid SQL. It also maintains the Delphi language and toolbase, as well as C++Builder IDE, both acquired from Borland Software in 2007.
In this space, Embarcadero will face competition from IBM, Software AG, SAP, Mega International and No Magic, all of which offer modeling tools.
Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts