Yahoo services to cut Facebook, Google sign-ins
Yahoo will progressively require users of its services to sign in with a Yahoo ID
IDG News Service - Users of Yahoo services will down the line have to use a Yahoo username to sign on to its services, as the company plans to phase out signing up to these services using Facebook and Google credentials.
The Internet giant is updating its sign-in process to provide a streamlined sign-in experience, a single account and password for all Yahoo products across devices, faster customer support and account assistance, and easier password recovery, a spokeswoman for the company said via email Tuesday.
"The eventual switch for all users to a Yahoo username will occur over time," she added.
Users for many Yahoo services can currently use their Yahoo ID or their Google or Facebook accounts to sign in, as a result of a program introduced early 2011 under former CEO Carol Bartz.
If the focus of Bartz was to attract users to Yahoo from popular websites such as Facebook and Google, the aim of current CEO Marissa Mayer appears to be on creating a dedicated user base for its variety of services.
Last year, the company decided to reset email accounts that were not used for at least 12 months and issue them to other users to help them get IDs of their choice.
The first Yahoo service to require the new sign-in process is the Yahoo Sports Tourney Pick'Em. Participants in the challenge have to sign in using their Yahoo ID.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!