Tip of the Hat: Unanswered questions in Boeing Black specs
Reporters offer some simple answers to complex questions raised by the release of specs for the Boeing's long-awaited secure smartphone
Computerworld - This week's posting of specifications for the secure Boeing Black smartphone brought out references to the old Mission Impossible television show and other fictional spy heroes.
The reports downplayed the apparent delay in developing the secure phone -- Boeing was expected to unveil it more than a year ago. They instead concentrated on its operating system (Android), its size (5.2-in. tall, 170 grams in weight and a 4.3-in. display) and most of all its self-destruct mode -- where all data is erased if the device is tampered with.
While the data released this week does offer some new information about the Boeing device and its capabilities, it also raises more questions about it and the growing market for secure phones. Such as: Is it another blow to struggling BlackBerry, the maker of President Barack Obama's secure phone? Can Android truly be secured?
A Computerworld Tip of the Hat to Will Connors and Jon Ostrower of the Wall Street Journal for their concise, easy-to-read blog post, 5 Questions About The Boeing Black, which provides answers to those and other questions about the device and the state of the secure phone business.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts