Microsoft upgrades iOS version of SkyDrive Pro
The upgraded app adopts the product's new name -- OneDrive for Business -- and adds other enhancements
IDG News Service - Microsoft has a new version of SkyDrive Pro's iOS app that has the cloud storage product's new identity -- OneDrive for Business -- and broadens its scope of users.
OneDrive for Business for iOS 1.2, released Thursday, adopts the new name and branding and will work not only with the public cloud, multitenant Office 365, but also with SharePoint Online hosted in private clouds and with some instances of SharePoint Server installed on customer premises.
The main OneDrive for Business cloud service was designed as a personal library for users of Office 365 and SharePoint Server to store personal work documents and files. Office 365 is a public cloud email and collaboration suite that includes Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and Lync Online.
"Previous versions of OneDrive for Business for iOS focused on connecting to the multi-tenant environment of Office 365. Office 365 for dedicated systems are separate from the multi-tenant infrastructure and use both Windows NT LAN Manager (NTLM) and forms-based authentication (FBA) protocols," wrote SharePoint senior product marketing manager Mark Kashman in a blog post on Thursday.
In addition, the OneDrive for Business app for iOS now will also work with SharePoint 2013 installed on customer premises if the server is configured using NTLM or FBA authentication for sign in, according to Kashman.
The app has also been adapted to work better with iOS 7, specifically in the areas of user interface and performance.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts