Tip of the Hat: Google's Project Ara unmasked
Time reporter offers a comprehensive, inside look at Google's tech and marketing plans for the modular phone coming from famed research group
Computerworld - Since disclosing last fall that an internal research team is developing an open hardware platform for creating highly modular smartphones, Google has offered few details of the effort, dubbed Project Ara.
The project is under way in the Advanced Technology and Projects Group that Google acquired in its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility about a year ago. The research group, headed by the former director of the famed U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, was not included in the agreement Google signed earlier this year to sell the Motorola handset business to Lenovo.
This week, Google announced plans for three Project Ara developer conferences, starting in mid-April. And with that, details about its plans for the modular phone began to emerge.
Computerworld offers a Tip of the hat to Time's Harry McCracken for the most comprehensive look -- by far -- at the goals Google has set for Project Ara and the roadblocks it faces along the way. The story, Project Ara: Inside Google's Bold Gambit to Make Smartphones Modular explains Google's technology and marketing plans as described by Google insiders -- as well as how Project Ara was selected as the name for the project.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!