Postini traps legitimate messages, creates Gmail delivery backlog
The problem has delayed receipt of messages to Gmail users
IDG News Service - Google has been scrambling for more than 24 hours to unclog a queue of messages sent to Gmail users that its Postini email filter incorrectly labeled as spam and quarantined.
The company logged the problem shortly after 9 a.m. Eastern Wednesday on its Apps Status page. In the latest update to the issue, posted on Thursday at around 8 a.m., Google said it would start reprocessing copies of the quarantined messages "in the next hour" and that its engineers would start redelivering them "in small batches."
"It's then expected that it will take several hours until all messages are reprocessed," the note reads.
It's not clear from the information on the Apps Status page if this Postini problem is related to a message delivery delay Gmail users experienced on Tuesday.
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment and more details, such as the cause and scope of the Postini problem. Postini services are used to secure Gmail as part of the Google Apps suite.
Google announced in mid-2012 that it would phase out the Postini email security cloud services, because it planned to progressively integrate the technology natively into Google Apps and into the optional Apps Vault email archiving, discovery and compliance service.
A week ago, a "service disruption" tripped Google's Drive cloud storage service, Docs word processing and Sheet spreadsheet applications, as well as its Sites intranet builder.
Google representatives have declined to comment about that outage last week and about the Gmail problem earlier this week.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts