Postini traps legitimate messages, creates Gmail delivery backlog
The problem has delayed receipt of messages to Gmail users
IDG News Service - Google has been scrambling for more than 24 hours to unclog a queue of messages sent to Gmail users that its Postini email filter incorrectly labeled as spam and quarantined.
The company logged the problem shortly after 9 a.m. Eastern Wednesday on its Apps Status page. In the latest update to the issue, posted on Thursday at around 8 a.m., Google said it would start reprocessing copies of the quarantined messages "in the next hour" and that its engineers would start redelivering them "in small batches."
"It's then expected that it will take several hours until all messages are reprocessed," the note reads.
It's not clear from the information on the Apps Status page if this Postini problem is related to a message delivery delay Gmail users experienced on Tuesday.
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment and more details, such as the cause and scope of the Postini problem. Postini services are used to secure Gmail as part of the Google Apps suite.
Google announced in mid-2012 that it would phase out the Postini email security cloud services, because it planned to progressively integrate the technology natively into Google Apps and into the optional Apps Vault email archiving, discovery and compliance service.
A week ago, a "service disruption" tripped Google's Drive cloud storage service, Docs word processing and Sheet spreadsheet applications, as well as its Sites intranet builder.
Google representatives have declined to comment about that outage last week and about the Gmail problem earlier this week.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts