CIO - Brandon Moser, the 'office politics ninja,' offers suggestions for handling people who are poisoning the organization's culture
How should I deal with office politics and gossip?
Always look first for the root cause of workplace gossip. Office gossip often occurs because it fills a void where the organization has not communicated as much or as frequently as it should. As a CIO or other C-level executive, addressing office gossip, politics and morale may not be at the top of your to-do list, but you should make these issues a higher priority. Organizations full of complex politics and gossip rarely reach their full potential because the employees are spending a portion of their time watching their backs when they could be using that energy to improve the organization. Poor or inefficient management can also create gossip. So initially, don't punish the gossiper. Look internally first to determine whether the root cause of gossip is something your organization can fix.
Sometimes workplace cultures allow employees to create the perception of growth and progress instead of producing real results. You don't pay your employees to work hard. You pay them for results. Eliminate the political types by evaluating only what they have accomplished, not the inflated perception they create of themselves.
Never hire someone only for his or her business background and skill set. It's equally important to hire for personality, interpersonal skills and integrity. Those are difficult qualities to evaluate in an interview. But if you ask the right behavioral questions, you'll get a good indication of whether the potential employee will positively or negatively affect your organization's culture.
Read more about staff management in CIO's Staff management Drilldown.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts