Gmail hit by message delivery delay
The issue lasted for several hours Tuesday morning
IDG News Service - Delays affected the delivery of messages to Gmail users Tuesday morning, days after key Google Web apps, including Docs and Drive, were hit by a bug lasting more than five hours.
Google acknowledged the Gmail problem at around 5 a.m. ET on its Apps Status Dashboard, saying that "messages are being received with a delay."
The issue was declared solved at around 7:30 a.m., when Google posted an update note saying that "most" of the delayed messages had been delivered and that the "remaining messages" would be delivered "over the next hours."
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the cause and scope of the problem. It's not clear whether some messages are still backed up in the delivery queue.
On Thursday, Google's Drive cloud storage service, Docs word processing and Sheet spreadsheet applications, as well as its Sites intranet builder, suffered what the company described as a "service disruption." At the time, a Google spokeswoman declined to provide details about what caused that problem and about how many people were affected.
The glitches to Google's Web apps come at the same time that Microsoft is making a renewed push with its competing products. Microsoft last week upgraded its browser-based version of Office and rebranded it as Office Online, in an attempt to encourage more people to use this free version of the suite.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts