Gmail hit by message delivery delay
The issue lasted for several hours Tuesday morning
IDG News Service - Delays affected the delivery of messages to Gmail users Tuesday morning, days after key Google Web apps, including Docs and Drive, were hit by a bug lasting more than five hours.
Google acknowledged the Gmail problem at around 5 a.m. ET on its Apps Status Dashboard, saying that "messages are being received with a delay."
The issue was declared solved at around 7:30 a.m., when Google posted an update note saying that "most" of the delayed messages had been delivered and that the "remaining messages" would be delivered "over the next hours."
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment regarding the cause and scope of the problem. It's not clear whether some messages are still backed up in the delivery queue.
On Thursday, Google's Drive cloud storage service, Docs word processing and Sheet spreadsheet applications, as well as its Sites intranet builder, suffered what the company described as a "service disruption." At the time, a Google spokeswoman declined to provide details about what caused that problem and about how many people were affected.
The glitches to Google's Web apps come at the same time that Microsoft is making a renewed push with its competing products. Microsoft last week upgraded its browser-based version of Office and rebranded it as Office Online, in an attempt to encourage more people to use this free version of the suite.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts