Mastercard, Syniverse protect against card fraud with phone geolocation
Transactions will only be approved when a card holder and their phone are in the same place
IDG News Service - Mastercard and roaming infrastructure company Syniverse have come up with a way to protect credit card transactions abroad with help from a phone's location.
The two companies are piloting a service that will enable card transactions for users only when they have their mobile device switched on in a specific geolocation abroad. The aim is to reduce fraud and decrease the number of real transactions that are declined.
"Between 50 and 80 percent of transactions that are declined are actually legitimate transactions, but they are declined by financial institutions for security reasons," said Hany Fam, president of Global Strategic Alliances at MasterCard.
Within 300 milliseconds, a check goes from the payment terminal into Syniverse's platform, which keeps track of where roaming phones are located, then information is returned about whether a transaction should be approved or denied, according to Mary Clark, chief marketing officer at Syniverse.
The platform has been developed to do more than secure transactions, including implementing targeted offers, which will be made more relevant by knowing the location of a mobile device, for example, in close proximity to a retail store, according to the two companies.
As soon as a location is used, there are privacy issues that have to be addressed. Users will have to opt-in to the service in advance.
For this to eventually work, banks and mobile operators would have to be onboard.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!