Mastercard, Syniverse protect against card fraud with phone geolocation
Transactions will only be approved when a card holder and their phone are in the same place
IDG News Service - Mastercard and roaming infrastructure company Syniverse have come up with a way to protect credit card transactions abroad with help from a phone's location.
The two companies are piloting a service that will enable card transactions for users only when they have their mobile device switched on in a specific geolocation abroad. The aim is to reduce fraud and decrease the number of real transactions that are declined.
"Between 50 and 80 percent of transactions that are declined are actually legitimate transactions, but they are declined by financial institutions for security reasons," said Hany Fam, president of Global Strategic Alliances at MasterCard.
Within 300 milliseconds, a check goes from the payment terminal into Syniverse's platform, which keeps track of where roaming phones are located, then information is returned about whether a transaction should be approved or denied, according to Mary Clark, chief marketing officer at Syniverse.
The platform has been developed to do more than secure transactions, including implementing targeted offers, which will be made more relevant by knowing the location of a mobile device, for example, in close proximity to a retail store, according to the two companies.
As soon as a location is used, there are privacy issues that have to be addressed. Users will have to opt-in to the service in advance.
For this to eventually work, banks and mobile operators would have to be onboard.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- 10GbE in the Data Center Improvements in 10GbE technology, lower pricing, and improved performance make 10GbE for the mid-market a viable and cost-effective strategy. This white paper discusses...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts