Mastercard, Syniverse protect against card fraud with phone geolocation
Transactions will only be approved when a card holder and their phone are in the same place
IDG News Service - Mastercard and roaming infrastructure company Syniverse have come up with a way to protect credit card transactions abroad with help from a phone's location.
The two companies are piloting a service that will enable card transactions for users only when they have their mobile device switched on in a specific geolocation abroad. The aim is to reduce fraud and decrease the number of real transactions that are declined.
"Between 50 and 80 percent of transactions that are declined are actually legitimate transactions, but they are declined by financial institutions for security reasons," said Hany Fam, president of Global Strategic Alliances at MasterCard.
Within 300 milliseconds, a check goes from the payment terminal into Syniverse's platform, which keeps track of where roaming phones are located, then information is returned about whether a transaction should be approved or denied, according to Mary Clark, chief marketing officer at Syniverse.
The platform has been developed to do more than secure transactions, including implementing targeted offers, which will be made more relevant by knowing the location of a mobile device, for example, in close proximity to a retail store, according to the two companies.
As soon as a location is used, there are privacy issues that have to be addressed. Users will have to opt-in to the service in advance.
For this to eventually work, banks and mobile operators would have to be onboard.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts