Tip of the hat: Samsung's Galaxy 5 vs. the rest of the smartphone pack
Several new smartphones were unveiled at Mobile World Congress this week, but the new Galaxy 5 garnered the most attention
Computerworld - Samsung on Monday added the much anticipated Galaxy S5 to its flagship line of smartphones during an event at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
Now the company must prove that the smartphone can successfully take on several new high-end Android devices unveiled by other manufacturers at the show.
Samsung hopes the updated device, which ships in April for a still-undisclosed price, can help it regain the slight loss in its share of the smartphone market in the fourth quarter of 2013.
Analysts say the new device is an evolutionary, not revolutionary, addition to the high-end smartphone market. Samsung particularly touted the device's fingerprint scanner and its built-in heart rate monitor.
Computerworld offers a Tip of the Hat to Jacob Kastrenakes of The Verge for his examination of the available data to compare the Galaxy S5 to key competitors like the Google Nexus 5, Nokia's Lumia Icon and the Sony Xperia Z2. In his story, Samsung's Galaxy S5 takes on the top smartphones around, Kastrenakes concludes that while the new Samsung device will likely "succeed on name alone," there are as yet no indications that it will stand out from the crowd.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts