Investor Icahn blasts eBay board, wants company to spin off PayPal
IDG News Service - Investor Carl Icahn has ripped into the eBay board of directors and called for the company to spin off its PayPal unit in a colorful letter to eBay stockholders released Monday.
Icahn, a long-time activist investor in tech companies. accused two eBay board members, Marc Andreessen and Scott Cook, of directly competing with the company, and said that CEO John Donahoe was "completely asleep or, even worse, either naive or willfully blind to these grave lapses of accountability and stockholder value destruction." Icahn called on eBay's board members to resign.
EBay should spin off PayPal because the online payments provider is "shrouded by a conglomerate discount the market has afforded eBay," according to his letter. A separate PayPal would allow the two "independent management teams to most effectively build two very different business platforms, make economic decisions independent of each other and, most importantly, foster innovation," he wrote.
The online payments industry is evolving quickly, and PayPal is at a critical point where it could be left behind, Icahn added. Icahn has nominated two allies for slots on eBay's board.
Icahn, who reportedly owns about 2 percent of eBay's stock, questioned Andreessen's commitment to eBay, saying the entrepreneur purchased "large stakes" in two former eBay subsidiaries, Skype and Kynetic. Andreessen has also advised several competitors to PayPal, Icahn wrote.
Cook is founder, former CEO and a current board member of Intuit, which has a Go-Payment service that is a "direct competitor" of PayPal, Icahn added. "How can the board have a conversation about the strategy or performance of PayPal when a representative of a direct competitor who has so much at stake is in the room?" Icahn wrote.
EBay responded by saying Icahn has "cherry-picked old news clips and anecdotes out of context to attack the integrity of two of the most respected, accomplished and value-driven technology leaders in Silicon Valley."
The company is "fully transparent" about its board members' other affiliations, the company said in its statement. The company called Andreessen and Cook valuable assets to the company's board.
EBay's board sees significant advantages in keeping PayPal and eBay together, the statement added. "The board regularly assesses all strategic options for the company; should circumstances change the board is entirely capable of evaluating alternatives for optimizing shareholder value," the statement said.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts