Windows Phone to get long-awaited enterprise update
The update brings a lot of new security options to enterprise users and will be here soon, Microsoft said
IDG News Service - Microsoft will soon offer an update to its Windows Phone operating system that will bring a number of new features targeted at enterprise users.
The update will be offered "later this spring" and will add new security options, including signed and encrypted S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) and automatic triggering of the virtual private network client when an enterprise resource is accessed, said Joe Belfiore, Microsoft corporate vice president at a Mobile World Congress news conference.
There will also be added support for enterprise Wi-Fi systems using EAP-TLS (Extensible Authentication Protocol-Transport Layer Security) encryption, enhanced MDM (mobile device management) policies and certificate management to enroll, update and revoke credentials for authentication, he said.
Microsoft first started talking about some of these enhancements in the middle of 2013, so they've been a long time coming.
What's not yet known is when they'll be available to end users.
Belfiore was keen to point out that "all Windows Phone 8 devices will be technically available" for the update, but such operating system updates are typically deployed by carriers so don't necessarily reach all users at the same time.
They'll come as Windows Phone is seeing some success in Europe and developing markets.
The operating system has a share of at least 10 percent in Europe, according to one estimate, and Nokia's 520 handset was the number-three best-selling phone in the U.K. in December, ahead of all Android phones, said Belfiore.
On a global basis, the platform has already overtaken BlackBerry to become the number-three player, although with an estimated 3.2 percent of the global market in 2013, it ranks well behind the number-two platform, iOS, at 15.6 percent, according to Gartner figures.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secure smartphones are nice, but not enough
- STMicro could enable touchless gesture control of smartphones
- The 'Internet of things,' beyond the hype at Mobile World Congress
- 64-bit smartphones are coming, but Apple's iPhone 5s still stands alone
- New chipsets and devices lay groundwork for LTE-Advanced
- Management vendors show Windows Phone some love
- SAP, BMW research project to connect drivers with real-time offers and services
- Samsung debuts new Exynos chips, questions linger on 64-bit plans
- Motorola to release a smartwatch later this year
- Samsung beefs up Knox mobile management software
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Windows Phone White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!