Lacie packs 25TB of storage in new RAID product
The drive is among the highest capacity available today.
IDG News Service - LaCie has increased the storage capacity of its 5big external storage product to 25TB.
The increased storage in 5big comes thanks to new 5TB hard drives in five storage bays. The 5big is priced at $2,499 on LaCie's website.
The 5TB drive is also among the highest-capacity drives available. It is topped by HGST's 6TB Ultrastar He6 drive, which created waves when it started shipping in November. Most hard drives in PCs today top out at 3TB, though 4TB internal drives are also available.
The total capacity of 25TB in 5big is among the highest available in a RAID drive with the same number of bays. RAID drives typically have multiple storage units in one box, and are also used for network storage.
The drive connects to PCs or Macs through a Thunderbolt connector. The drive is able to transfer data at speeds of up to 785MB per second, Lacie said.
It could be used for heavy-duty multimedia tasks on computers like the Mac Pro, LaCie said. There will be a growing need for more storage with the emergence of 4K video, which carries a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels.
The Mac Pro has ports for Thunderbolt 2, which can transfer data at a pace of 20G bits per second.
- 2014 Healthcare Data Management Survey Summary This report provides insights into how much information Healthcare IT organizations are managing, the rate of data growth they are experiencing and which...
- State of Cloud Security Report In a relatively short time, cloud computing, specifically Infrastructure-as a-Service, has shifted from a new but unproven approach to an accepted, even inevitable,...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Server and system administrators challenged to keep up with enterprise storage explosion Read this whitepaper to learn how administrators are leveraging their existing skills to simplify the management of storage and servers.
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud.
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts