Ebay buys computer graphics startup PhiSix
E-commerce company wouldn't say what it paid for maker of 3D models of clothing
IDG News Service - Ebay has acquired PhiSix Fashion Labs, a computer graphics startup that makes 3D models of clothing, in a bid to offer customers a virtual fitting room.
The e-commerce giant is like its peers trying to grow its share of online apparel purchases. Research firm eMarketer has forecast that online retail sales in the U.S. of apparel and accessories will rise to $88 billion by 2016, almost as much as the largest online retail category consisting of computers and consumer electronics, up from $54 billion in 2013.
PhiSix's technology can be used both online and offline to allow consumers to see how clothes fit, look and move in different environments without actually having to try them on, the e-commerce company said in a blog post.
Virtual fitting rooms in some forms have been tried before and did not meet the preference of many users to physically try the clothes.
The 3D models will offer shoppers a virtual fitting room where they can view the clothes in a variety of scenarios ranging from walking down the street to hitting a golf club, eBay said Wednesday.
Ebay said the PhiSix technology can be used for omni-channel commerce so users can shop from any online device.
The financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. Ebay said it could integrate PhiSix technology across its product portfolio.
PhiSix founder Jonathan Su and his three-person team will join eBay's Innovation and New Ventures group to focus on ways to transform retail, eBay said.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts