Personal Websites Give Job Seekers Greater Control
CIO - Trying to set yourself apart from the millions of other job-seekers out there? Creating and promoting a personal website can show you're serious and career-minded, highlight your skills and better manage Google search results to put your best foot forward. And Strikingly claims you can do it with one click.
David Chen, CEO of Strikingly, along with cofounders Dafeng Gao, CTO, and Teng Bao, chief product officer, developed a mobile-optimized platform thats designed to offer a one-click approach to help even the least tech-savvy folks create their own websites and strengthen their personal brand.
"In this day and age, especially if you're searching for a job, you must go beyond being just a 'consumer' on the Web," Chen says. "A social media presence isn't legitimate enough anymore, like it was just a few years ago, but given how fast the market changes, how busy people are with work, family, other obligations, it can be difficult to devote the time to building and maintaining a site," he says.
Going Beyond Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
"Forbes says that 56 percent of employers look at personal websites as the most powerful branding tool for prospective employees," Chen says. "You know you're going to be Googled. Why not try and take control of the image that is out there, beyond LinkedIn and Facebook and Twitter?" he says.
"Having a personal website not only gives you control over your branding and your online persona, it shows prospective employers that you are serious, dedicated, and that you've put in the time and effort to interact successfully with the world in this way, through the medium of the Web," Chen says.
When hiring for their own company, Chen says, he and his cofounders give much more detailed and thorough consideration to applicants with their own sites, believing it demonstrates a dedication to their work and also highlights their design and technical skills in a way that traditional applications can't. But Chen says Strikingly is geared toward professionals of all skill levels, and in all industries.
"Even design and tech folks want a solution that's innovative, simple to use, and mobile-optimized. The process for most solutions available, like WordPress or having a domain on GoDaddy.com is so tedious and time-consuming. Even my cofounders, who are designers and developers, struggled to find time and tools to create their own sites. So, Strikingly.com is exactly the opposite of that -- you can create a professional, high-end looking site even if you're not a design or tech guru," Chen says.
It's free to get started with Strikingly, and if you like your creation, pricing ranges from $8 to $20 month, depending on which features you choose.
Sharon Florentine covers IT careers and data center topics for CIO.com. Follow Sharon on Twitter @MyShar0na. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org Follow everything from CIO.com on Twitter @CIOonline and on Facebook.
Read more about web productivity in CIO's Web Productivity Drilldown.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |