Nokia Treasure Tag helps find lost items
Accessory starts shipping in April and will cost about $30
IDG News Service - Nokia has unveiled its Treasure Tag device, which can help people use their smartphones to find valuables like keys or a bag by putting a tag on them.
The tags, which come with an accompanying app, will be compatible with Nokia Lumia phones with the Black software update, Nokia said Wednesday. There will also be third-party applications for Android and iOS devices available, the company said.
Users can have up to four different tags simultaneously connected to their Lumia, and each tag can be placed on the start screen as a Live Tile. When users inadvertently leave behind their smartphone or keys, both will emit a loud tone to alert them, according to Nokia. The alert can also be prompted using the app, which will help users locate lost items on a map, as well, Nokia said.
Pairing can be done using NFC or from the Bluetooth settings menu. A tag is deactivated with a long press on its only button.
The accessory measures 30 millimeters by 30 mm by 10 mm and weighs 13 grams. The tags will cost about $30 when they start shipping in April around the world, and users can choose between cyan, yellow, white and black colors. Nokia also promises a battery life of up to six months for the device.
Nokia started distributing the Black update last month. It includes features such as app folders and an updated version of Glance screen, which lets users see notifications from up to five apps on the lock screen. Bluetooth Low Energy has been enabled across the full range of Lumias and all models can now get the new Camera app.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!