Kickstarter hacked, user names and encrypted passwords accessed
User data was stolen, though credit card information remained intact, Kickstarter said
IDG News Service - The crowdfunding website Kickstarter said Saturday it had been hacked and that user names, encrypted passwords and other data had been accessed.
Kickstarter said it was informed of the hack Wednesday by law enforcement officials and that it had now closed the breach and strengthened its security.
"Actual passwords were not revealed, however it is possible for a malicious person with enough computing power to guess and crack an encrypted password, particularly a weak or obvious one," CEO Yancey Strickler said in an email to users.
The data accessed also included email addresses, mailing addresses and phone numbers, Strickler wrote. No credit card data was accessed, he said.
"There is no evidence of unauthorized activity of any kind on your account," Strickler wrote.
Users are advised to change the password on their account, and on any other accounts where they use the same passwords.
Kickstarter is a site where people can make donations to fund projects. It doesn't store full credit card information on its website, only the last four digits, and those numbers were not accessed by the hackers, the company said in a security notice.
Though Kickstarter was notified of the breach on Wednesday, it waited to tell customers until after the investigation was complete, the notice said.
Facebook user names and logins were not compromised for those who use that log-in system to get on Kickstarter, according to the notice.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts