- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Tim Platt
This IT leader found value in engaging with people inside and outside his organization.
Computerworld - To keep a company moving forward, sometimes you have to change its direction. That's been the strategy for Tim Platt, vice president of information systems and information security at Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America.
Recognizing a need for Toyota to be more competitive, Platt has overseen his IT department's transition from a reactive role to an active one. Not satisfied with simply implementing and supporting reliable existing systems, Platt's staff now takes the initiative in offering improvements and innovative ideas to other departments.
The necessary training and resources are provided to staff through the IT Antenna program, which Platt has used for his own personal transformation. Coming to the CIO role from a background in IT architecture, Platt says he "recognized there was another part of the world I needed to engage in." He joined a roundtable of Cincinnati-area CIOs who share benchmarks, best practices and speaking engagements. "I've transformed from a person who was primarily focused internally on IT management processes to someone who is engaged outside of my organization," says Platt.
Connecting with people inside and outside the department makes Platt a leader his staff is enthusiastic to follow. "His ability to visualize complex scenarios and relate to every level of the organization personally is amazing," says Joseph Lucas, manager of IT business planning and management.
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts