Sen. Paul files lawsuit challenging NSA surveillance
The Kentucky senator joins FreedomWorks in class-action lawsuit against Obama, U.S. officials
IDG News Service - U.S. Senator Rand Paul has delivered on promises to file a lawsuit challenging the U.S. National Security Agency's authority to engage in mass surveillance.
Paul, a Kentucky Republican and possible 2016 presidential candidate, joined conservative activist group FreedomWorks in filing the lawsuit Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. Lead attorney for the plaintiffs is Ken Cuccinelli, former attorney general and Republican candidate for governor in Virginia.
U.S. President Barack Obama has "publicly refused to stop a clear and continuing violation of the Fourth Amendment," Paul said in a statement. "The Bill of Rights protects all citizens from general warrants. I expect this case to go all the way to the Supreme Court and I predict the American people will win."
Defendants in the class-action lawsuit include Obama, director of national intelligence James Clapper and NSA director Keith Alexander.
As of late January, a website for the lawsuit, Defendthe4th.com, had about 350,000 people who had signed on as plaintiffs, Paul said then.
An NSA spokeswoman didn't immediately respond to a request for a comment on the lawsuit.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's email address is email@example.com.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Data Protection and Disaster Recovery with iSCSI and VMware Get this on demand webcast now
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Privacy White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!