- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Derald Sue
A customer-service focus turns the business side into IT believers.
Computerworld - In his seven years at InsideTrack, CIO Derald P. Sue has led two IT transformations.
The first occurred upon his arrival at the San Francisco-based education company that helps colleges retain and graduate students. At that time, he built centralized IT systems, governance and policies from the ground up.
The second came two years ago, when business units fell in love with software as a service and other do-it-yourself capabilities and began cutting IT out of their plans. "There was a belief that IT was too slow to change and implement things, and users got frustrated," Sue explains. He realized that if the IT department didn't provide a high level of customer service, it would end up completely out of the loop.
First, he took several people from the business side and assigned them to the IT department and trained them. Then he retrained or replaced IT staffers who weren't suited for the new customer-service focus. Next, he focused on finding systems that met the business units' needs quickly. Finally, he shifted away from measuring transactions, such as time-to-resolution and fulfillment of the terms of service-level agreements, and toward measuring business outcomes.
"Our ability to be productive and meet the business needs increased dramatically," says Sue, 37.
"He can break things down and get right to the bottom line in a way that will resonate with the person he's talking to," says Joanna Gummery, director of business systems. "He's very much a leader by example."
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Meeting Changing Information Management Needs with Next-Generation Email Archiving Learn more about the ever-changing landscape of next-generation email archiving and gain insight about information management needs in this Info-Tech whitepaper.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts