- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Derald Sue
A customer-service focus turns the business side into IT believers.
Computerworld - In his seven years at InsideTrack, CIO Derald P. Sue has led two IT transformations.
The first occurred upon his arrival at the San Francisco-based education company that helps colleges retain and graduate students. At that time, he built centralized IT systems, governance and policies from the ground up.
The second came two years ago, when business units fell in love with software as a service and other do-it-yourself capabilities and began cutting IT out of their plans. "There was a belief that IT was too slow to change and implement things, and users got frustrated," Sue explains. He realized that if the IT department didn't provide a high level of customer service, it would end up completely out of the loop.
First, he took several people from the business side and assigned them to the IT department and trained them. Then he retrained or replaced IT staffers who weren't suited for the new customer-service focus. Next, he focused on finding systems that met the business units' needs quickly. Finally, he shifted away from measuring transactions, such as time-to-resolution and fulfillment of the terms of service-level agreements, and toward measuring business outcomes.
"Our ability to be productive and meet the business needs increased dramatically," says Sue, 37.
"He can break things down and get right to the bottom line in a way that will resonate with the person he's talking to," says Joanna Gummery, director of business systems. "He's very much a leader by example."
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts