- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Ger Purcell
Collaboration and employee development are two of this IT leader's priorities.
Computerworld - Technology distributor Avnet thrives on connecting customers with the technology suppliers and products they need to further their business. Thanks to Gerard Purcell, senior vice president of global information solutions, Avnet employees make the connections they need to further their careers.
At Avnet, Purcell, 48, established a "technology day" and job-shadowing program, offering employees the opportunity to learn about new technologies and cross-train with colleagues in other departments. Participants are given the resources to define their career trajectories, resulting in a high level of engagement across the company. "An engaged team gets results," says Purcell.
Purcell is no stranger to collaboration and transformation, having originally studied mechanical engineering before finding his way into client services on a career path that eventually led him to the CIO post at Gateway. There, he reported to Steve Phillips, who as CIO at Avnet is once again Purcell's manager. "He's always been an intuitive, collaborative person," says Phillips. "He's not there just as the IT person. He's an equal partner around the table."
"The days of being just the IT person are rapidly coming to a close," agrees Purcell. An interdisciplinary approach is vital not just across departments, but within his own. "You're only as good as the people on your team. If they don't see you a trusted adviser, you'll not be able to drive an IT strategy that affects the business."
Of both Avnet and its employees, Purcell says, "You have to be self-critical and allow change."
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts