- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Stuart Kippelman
A series of project successes convinced users that they could trust this hard-charging CIO.
Computerworld - Covanta Energy began focusing on organic growth in 2011, undertaking hundreds of strategic initiatives to increase revenue. Most required the help of IT, and IT served as the driving force behind the success of many of them.
Vice president and CIO Stuart Kippelman helped create a global IT program to integrate, synchronize and then leverage multiple technologies and services to deliver these capabilities. The changes focused on automating the salesforce, delivering digital information to customers and using business intelligence to drive faster decisions.
One of Kippelman's biggest challenges was reshaping a corporate culture that resisted change. "We used to deal with a small subset of municipality customers. Now we've grown our salesforce and have pulled in hundreds to thousands of customers. You just can't scale the manual process."
Kippelman first won over employees with the launch of an automated contracts and proposals system in 2013. The system reduced the contract process from weeks to days. "This one project, because it has touched so many areas and is customer-facing, [has led to] a significant uptick in requests to get new systems in place," he says.
Ben Cabrera, senior director of business systems delivery, says Kippelman brings positive energy to the workplace. "His approachability, sense of humor, and the confidence he brings technically that 'we can do this' permeates through the team," says Cabrera.a
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts