- 2014 Premier 100 IT Leaders: A reinvention convention
- Class of 2014 Yearbook. A photo gallery, along with honorees' predictions, projects and more.
- Editorial: Career doors open wide everywhere for IT pros
- Honor Roll: View Premier 100 IT Leader alumni from 2000 to 2014
- Learn from the Elite. Join honorees at the Premier 100 IT Leaders Conference March 2-4, 2014
- Know an IT Leader? Nominate that person for next year's list.
- Editor's Picks: Revitalize your career with Computerworld's best stories on leadership.
- How we chose the honorees.
Premier 100 IT Leader: Chad Long
This collaborative IT leader gets creative when seeding the next crop of tech talent.
Computerworld - If you think it's challenging to recruit talented IT professionals, consider how hard it might be if you were located in a swamp, an hour from the nearest big city.
That's the situation Chad Long finds himself in as a commander and chief of the information systems division at the U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Logistics Center, which is located at the narrows of the Pasquotank River in Elizabeth City, N.C.
Staffing is a priority for Long, because the logistics center is in the midst of a transition. It's migrating from homegrown software to commercial applications and expanding its use of mobile systems. Moreover, along with the entire military, the Coast Guard is increasing its systems security. That means Long's IT staffing needs are changing -- from .Net experts to IT managers who can guide multiple projects.
And that's a challenge. "We do not have the luxury of access to all kinds of IT talent here, nor do we have a big draw," Long says.
He has partnered with local universities, offering internships and training programs for students. He even set up internships for high school students, focused mostly on lower-level tech skills.
"We bring them in and get them experience," Long says. The interns don't always end up taking jobs at the logistics center, but they do seed the labor market by word of mouth -- telling others about opportunities with the Coast Guard.
Carl Webster, deputy chief of the information systems division, says one of Long's greatest attributes is his participative management style. "He's not one who will sit there and dictate," Webster says. "He'll listen to your ideas. It's a collaborative environment."
More on the 2014 Premier 100
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- The Next Generation Employee Experience This white paper from IBM, showcases five organizations that are strategically integrating emerging social software and tools with their existing investments and seeing...
- Jyske Bank extends brand message to more than one million visitors a month IBM WebSphere Portal software helps bank offer a clearly differentiated digital experience
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts