HP says security updates will remain free
The company said it will provide security and safety updates to all server users
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard said security and safety updates will be provided to all its server users after a controversy surrounding the company's decision to restrict access to firmware updates to server customers on warranty or covered by a support agreement.
"We understand that updates addressing security and safety are important for your business, and will continue to provide those updates to all server users," wrote Mary McCoy, vice president for server support in the company's technology services unit.
McCoy said Friday in a blog post that from Feb. 19, HP will provide firmware updates through the HP support center "only to customers with a valid warranty, Care Pack Service or support agreement."
Claiming that the move aligns with industry best practices, McCoy said HP is not trying to force customers into purchasing extended coverage. "That is, and always will be, a customer's choice," she wrote.
In an update to the blog post, HP said that the firmware access changes will apply to HP ProLiant servers only. The company will not put entitlement requirements on iLO, I/O, or controller firmware, and is only covering ProLiant system ROM and complex programming logic devices (CPLD) firmware under its revised program, McCoy said.
McCoy defended HP's decision to limit access to firmware to those who pay for it. "It is through the sales of warranty in the product, and sales of support services after the warranty, that we are able to invest to create great customer experiences with our products," she said.
- It's Time to Refresh Your Data Center In this Whitepaper, we'll take a close look at how Cisco® Unified Computing System (UCS®) with intelligent Intel® Xeon® processors is revolutionizing the...
- The Strong Business Case for Blades Servers This paper will discuss how several organizations reduced annual IT costs by migrating from a traditional environment to blade server computing.
- Optimize your Virtualization Efforts with a Blade Infrastructure This Brief summarizes the benefits of using a converged and intelligent blade-based infrastructure to support today's highly virtualized environments.
- Maximizing Your Infrastructure through Virtualization With the HP BladeSystem, you can create a virtualized solution that can be tailored to meet your needs today and tomorrow allowing for...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Servers White Papers | Webcasts