Amazon Web Service offers R on demand
AWS offers a hosted version of Revolution Analytics R distribution for $1.25 an hour
IDG News Service - Amazon Web Services now offers a hosted version of the R programming language, providing an easy way for individuals and organizations to start and test their big-data-styled analysis projects.
The cloud service is offering a copy of Revolution R Enterprise 7 on the AWS Marketplace, an online store for different packages that can be run on AWS.
Offered by Revolution Analytics, Revolution R Enterprise is a commercial package of R, an open-source functional programming language designed for statistical computing and graphics. R is being increasingly used for data analysis. Revolution R offers a version of R that can run in parallel, across multiple processors.
Users of the R service will pay $1.25 per core per hour. A free 14-day trial is available.
"We have the higher performance and higher scalability for dealing with large data sets," said Greg Todd, Revolution Analytics chief technology officer noting the generic open-source R engine runs as a single process.
The AWS Revolution R service, which runs as a virtual machine image, can scale from 2 to 32 vCPUs (virtual CPUs), running on either Microsoft Windows or Linux. Data being analyzed must reside in Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) and Amazon Relational Data Service (RDS). The service can parse datasets up to a terabyte in size.
Beyond a terabyte of data, Todd notes that it would be more cost effective to purchase the on-premises version of Revolution R Enterprise, or run the software in a private cloud environment.
The online service is best suited for individual data scientists working on a problem, or for an organization that wants to develop an R-based application, or shift overflow R workloads to the cloud, Todd said. The service can also serve as an educational aid, to help people learn how to program in R.
For users of the Windows version, Revolution R Enterprise provides an integrated development environment, called the Revolution R Enterprise DevelopR. Linux users can access Revolution R Enterprise through the RStudio Server Pro -- offered by RStudio -- or through a browser.
Using the Revolution R Enterprise package provides a number of advantages, Todd said. It provides a standard platform that allows jobs to be run without modification no matter if the underlying platform is a enterprise data warehouse, a grid, a cluster, a single server or a workstation. It can also operate in parallel environments. Revolution Analytics has modified approximately 50 of the most popular R packages for carrying out specific tasks -- from the Comprehensive R Archive Network (CRAN) -- so they can run in parallel environments.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts