Apple removes Blockchain, last Bitcoin wallet app, from mobile store
Legal uncertainty around Bitcoin may be spooking Apple
IDG News Service - Apple on Wednesday removed Blockchain, the last remaining application in its mobile store for transmitting bitcoins, signaling the continuing uncertainty around the virtual currency.
U.K.-based Blockchain wrote Thursday on its website that Apple told it the application, which is a "wallet" that can be used to store and send bitcoins, was removed due to an "unresolved issue." Blockchain said it received no prior warning of a problem.
Apple, which could not be immediately reached for comment, has also removed other Bitcoin-related applications, including Coinbase and Gliph, Blockchain said.
"These actions by Apple once again demonstrate the anti-competitive and capricious nature of the App Store policies," Blockchain wrote.
A growing number of retailers have adopted bitcoin as a payment option, but it faces scrutiny around the world as countries debate how it fits into existing legal and regulatory schemes.
A handful of other bitcoin-related mobile applications for iOS, such as market share tickers, are still available in the App Store, but none that can transfer bitcoins.
Blockchain's desktop application for OS X could still be downloaded on Thursday afternoon from Apple's Australian App Store, but it was not clear if that would also be removed soon.
Blockchain said its application was in Apple's App Store for two years and was downloaded 120,000 times. The company launched an online petition to convince Apple to allow bitcoin wallets.
In contrast, Google does not restrict developers from creating bitcoin wallets for its Android mobile platform, which could drive bitcoin users away from Apple.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts