Google ad guru Wojcicki to lead YouTube
Former senior VP of ads and commerce at Google is named CEO of video service
IDG News Service - Google has named a top executive from its advertising business to become the new chief executive of its YouTube service.
The appointment of Susan Wojcicki, one of Google's first employees, shows the Internet company is not afraid to make big moves to spruce up YouTube and perhaps boost the ad return it gets from the site. Wojcicki has served as Google's senior vice president of ads and commerce, helping to grow the company's core search ad business.
YouTube's current chief executive is Salar Kamangar. Google CEO Larry Page confirmed the move in a statement Wednesday. "Salar and the whole YouTube team have built something amazing. Like Salar, Susan has a healthy disregard for the impossible and is excited about improving YouTube in ways that people will love," he said.
"Excited to join YouTube," Wojcicki said in a tweet of her own.
Google declined to comment further or say what changes might be in store under Wojcicki. It also did not say what Kamangar's new role would be, though a report in Re/code said he would stay at Google to work on early stage projects.
Through its "Partners" program, YouTube provides a way for people to monetize their YouTube videos through advertising. But the site has been criticized by some video makers as a difficult place to make money, partly due to the cut YouTube takes from advertising.
Google bought YouTube in 2006 for about $1.6 billion, one of its largest acquisitions at that time.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts