Google ad guru Wojcicki to lead YouTube
Former senior VP of ads and commerce at Google is named CEO of video service
IDG News Service - Google has named a top executive from its advertising business to become the new chief executive of its YouTube service.
The appointment of Susan Wojcicki, one of Google's first employees, shows the Internet company is not afraid to make big moves to spruce up YouTube and perhaps boost the ad return it gets from the site. Wojcicki has served as Google's senior vice president of ads and commerce, helping to grow the company's core search ad business.
YouTube's current chief executive is Salar Kamangar. Google CEO Larry Page confirmed the move in a statement Wednesday. "Salar and the whole YouTube team have built something amazing. Like Salar, Susan has a healthy disregard for the impossible and is excited about improving YouTube in ways that people will love," he said.
"Excited to join YouTube," Wojcicki said in a tweet of her own.
Google declined to comment further or say what changes might be in store under Wojcicki. It also did not say what Kamangar's new role would be, though a report in Re/code said he would stay at Google to work on early stage projects.
Through its "Partners" program, YouTube provides a way for people to monetize their YouTube videos through advertising. But the site has been criticized by some video makers as a difficult place to make money, partly due to the cut YouTube takes from advertising.
Google bought YouTube in 2006 for about $1.6 billion, one of its largest acquisitions at that time.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts