FTC clears Google plan to buy Nest
Google said in January it expects to close the transaction in a few months
IDG News Service - Google's agreement to buy Nest Labs has been cleared by U.S. antitrust regulators, possibly paving the way for an early closure of the transaction.
The review into the transaction was granted "early termination," according to an update from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Google said last month it was paying $3.2 billion in cash to acquire Nest, a maker of smart smoke alarms and thermostats, in what is seen as a bid by the Internet giant to expand into the connected home market.
The company said the transaction was expected to close in the next few months and was subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of regulatory approvals in the U.S.
Under the Hart-Scott-Rodino (HSR) Act, parties to certain large mergers and acquisitions must file a pre-merger notification and wait for government review. The FTC has the option to terminate the review before the end of the waiting period and grant early termination, after which the parties are free to close the deal.
A request for early termination is granted only after the FTC and the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice have completed their review and determined not to take any enforcement action during the waiting period, FTC said on its website.
Google could not be immediately reached for comment.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts